TZ350 and 250 Discussion Forum  

Go Back   TZ350 and 250 Discussion Forum > Tales of the race !
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-06-2014, 04:38 PM
2nd position and catching the leader

Default Aussie titles at Lakeside

Anybody from Un Zud thinking of going?
Unread 10-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Mid-pack and gaining

Hi Rod,

Hope the trip back was OK, especially for Dave. It was so good to see him up & about, even with the broken ribs. It was an early reminder of how quickly anything can happen and Lakeside has always demanded respect. On the other hand, you have to push hard all the way around for a good lap time, & it can get sketchy.

We did the authentic " back of a Transit van" 4 day meeting, & could not really afford a Carport. The was an overflow area at the far end of the pits, but by 07:20 Thursday, they were already filled. So we kept driving and ended up in the camping area where there were still some spaces. Best first move for the weekend. Right on the exit to the kink, but up high. We could hear all the pit calls & commentary & had a great viewing spot. So we unpacked & setup. I met Josh who was a volunteer flaggie and had a good chat.

Went out and ran it in for 2 sessions and tried to convince myself that the "new bit" was not really the mother of all racetrack stuffups. Anyway it was there. I thought it should have its own letterbox and Oz Post could rent the track for delivery practice. Anyway, everything ran well, it still runs hotter than I would like. We added 4 clicks of rear rebound, and had 5 clicks of steering damper compared to 3 clicks for PI. It was a bit bumpy in places. Still using the tyres we had on at the Island in January. The hard compound front still has some of the rubber tits after 250km and the back one is worn evenly on both sides now. They still seem to work OK.

Big end bearings seemed to be holding together this time.

350 Qualifying We should have run :- Out lap, 1:10, 1:09,1:08 but I hit a bit of traffic, had to grab the camera and ended up 5th. But the footage of Lachlan, Glenn and Adam is pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMvblMhQrjw

500 Qualifying We geared it up, to try and change some gearchange points, but it did not really work out. Mainly because it made it worse exiting the "new bit". We changed that back. We added the final 2 clicks of rebound and was getting comfy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl39zBUaYEc

P5 Senior 500 Race 2. Made too many mistakes in Race 1 and finished 3rd and the grid is progressive. made a good start and had a good race with Glenn Hindle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGRaSps1cyQ

Overall a really good weekend for us. I watched a lot of racing and from my point of view (which may be slightly biased) the P5 Junior 350 races were probably the closest contested of all classes. The commentators seemed to think so. Graeme agreed. I hope the Green Horror gives the class the coverage it deserves this issue.

Last edited by Peter Hinton : 10-03-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Unread 10-03-2014, 03:36 PM
First race on the new TZ (back of the grid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hinton View Post
Hi Rod,

Hope the trip back was OK, especially for Dave. It was so good to see him up & about, even with the broken ribs. It was an early reminder of how quickly anything can happen and Lakeside has always demanded respect. On the other hand, you have to push hard all the way around for a good lap time, & it can get sketchy.

We did the authentic " back of a Transit van" 4 day meeting, & could not really afford a Carport. The was an overflow area at the far end of the pits, but by 07:20 Thursday, they were already filled. So we kept driving and ended up in the camping area where there were still some spaces. Best first move for the weekend. Right on the exit to the kink, but up high. We could hear all the pit calls & commentary & had a great viewing spot. So we unpacked & setup. I met Josh who was a volunteer flaggie and had a good chat.

Went out and ran it in for 2 sessions and tried to convince myself that the "new bit" was not really the mother of all racetrack stuffups. Anyway it was there. I thought it should have its own letterbox and Oz Post could rent the track for delivery practice. Anyway, everything ran well, it still runs hotter than I would like. We added 4 clicks of rear rebound, and had 5 clicks of steering damper compared to 3 clicks for PI. It was a bit bumpy in places. Still using the tyres we had on at the Island in January. The hard compound front still has some of the rubber tits after 250km and the back one is worn evenly on both sides now. They still seem to work OK.

Big end bearings seemed to be holding together this time.

350 Qualifying We should have run :- Out lap, 1:10, 1:09,1:08 but I hit a bit of traffic, had to grab the camera and ended up 5th. But the footage of Lachlan, Glenn and Adam is pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMvblMhQrjw

500 Qualifying We geared it up, to try and change some gearchange points, but it did not really work out. Mainly because it made it worse exiting the "new bit". We changed that back. We added the final 2 clicks of rebound and was getting comfy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl39zBUaYEc

P5 Senior 500 Race 2. Made too many mistakes in Race 1 and finished 3rd and the grid is progressive. made a good start and had a good race with Glenn Hindle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGRaSps1cyQ

Overall a really good weekend for us. I watched a lot of racing and from my point of view (which may be slightly biased) the P5 Junior 350 races were probably the closest contested of all classes. The commentators seemed to think so. Graeme agreed. I hope the Green Horror gives the class the coverage it deserves this issue.
Enjoyed that 500 R2 great start and
a cheeky outside pass on Glen. watching the Temp gauge going up to 79% C
was a little bit scary though.