TZ350 and 250 Discussion Forum  

Go Back   TZ350 and 250 Discussion Forum > Later model TZ discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-30-2008, 02:56 AM
Watching from the grandstand

Default 1986 TZ250S info, dos & don'ts??

Hi,
new to the world of TZs but lookin got take the plunge shortly as I am looking at a 250s from 1986 as the title suggests.

Any information regarding these bikes & what to look for in buying & running one would be grateful. Ran two strokes for a few years now & want to go the GP route to have some fun.

Cheers.
Col
Unread 07-30-2008, 05:33 AM
Won his first race on the new TZ!

Hi Col,

Welcome to the forum. I really can't help much with the "S" Model. I'm familiar with the H,J,K & L series somewhat and at the moment I'm becoming very familiar with the "U" (first of the "reverse cylinders" models). Over the years I don't recall much discussion on the N,S,T models. I certainly would like to learn about (and own ) one of those models.

Somebody will come by and shed some light on the subject.

Don
Unread 07-30-2008, 07:28 AM
First race on the new TZ (back of the grid)

Default Tzs

Just look for normal 2 stroke things. I have one of these but haven't used it yet as it needs some restoration. I have an owners manual and can help with data if you buy the bike. They're a very pretty little thing.

Lynton
Unread 07-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Yammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynton View Post
Just look for normal 2 stroke things. I have one of these but haven't used it yet as it needs some restoration. I have an owners manual and can help with data if you buy the bike. They're a very pretty little thing.

Lynton
according to McKellars book these models were not very successful Yamaha apparently dropped the ball on the 85 86 87 models but then regained the upper hand in 88
but as Lynton says they are a very pretty looking bike .

John.l.
Unread 08-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Out on the track for first practice session

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbb66 View Post
Hi,
new to the world of TZs but lookin got take the plunge shortly as I am looking at a 250s from 1986 as the title suggests.

Any information regarding these bikes & what to look for in buying & running one would be grateful. Ran two strokes for a few years now & want to go the GP route to have some fun.

Cheers.
Col
Hi Col, hello and welcome, just my two penneth for what its worth, if your'e looking for a tz assume that the engine will require a rebuild (worst case 800 ish) unless its a friend you're buying from and know the history. A lot depends on what you want the bike for (race/parade/to tinker with), this will depend on what parts you want on it ie, i would prefer dymags or bigger disc for racing but others may prefer to see wire wheels for parade or show, this will also reflect on asking price or worth. If you could purchase a fairly original decent example for around 2300/2500 but requiring a motor rebuild etc i would say go for it. Do you intend racing or parading ?

cheers
Phil
Unread 08-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Watching from the grandstand

Hi Phil,
it's the alloy Deltabox TZs that interest me the most though there are a few friends that I have raced against previously when I had a aircooled RD that race TZs from the 80's want me to join them with a steel framed TZ.
What I have noticed regarding the earlier bikes is that they all need a rebuild & with my budget I can't see that being possible. A piston ported TZ doesn't really interest me that much for racing, good as they are I think a more modren one would suit me more.
I haven't seen any at the prices you quoted of under 3k unfortunately.
The TZ250S' upto the U & W are the ones I am most interested in & have seen them advertised from under 3K to just over it, never with spares though unfortunately.

I want to race it Phil so looking for the best I can afford & will give it a refresh over the winter months.

Cheers.
Col.
Unread 06-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Bought a TZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynton View Post

Lynton
Just bought TZ250S, did you purchase the owners manual ? if so do you have an address or web site ?
Cheers
Millo12
Unread 06-08-2016, 03:43 PM
On the back of the leading group

The S 1986 was the first alloy framed delta box TZ

It repalce the awful N model which was the first reed valve intake machine. On the N the reeds were too small which made the bike no better, possibly worse than the 84 L which it shared most on the chassis and rolling gear with.

The S had larger reeds and was the backbone of national racing in the UK in 86 being replaced by the T in 87 which was similar but had slightly different wheels, although they are interchangeable.

If you can pick up an unrestored S for 2 1/2 grand I would like to know first.

None of these bikes, even unrestored are cheap now unless its been stored outside for the past 40 years.

Genuine parts are getting scarce but good pattern engine/crank parts are available.

As said check all the usual two stroke foibles and check for crash damage around the steering head.

Try to persuade a seller to strip the engine for you or at least remove the top half.

The carb bodies wear out so check for lose slides especially if the slides look good.

Have fun
Unread 06-27-2016, 07:02 AM
Bought a TZ

Hi,

Would you know what the torque settings are for the cylinder head bolts ?
Cheers
Millo12
Unread 07-17-2016, 10:21 PM
Bought a TZ

Hi Lynton
Just bought myself a TZ250S but finding it very difficult to obtain specification information (torque setting etc) before I strip it down. Do you still have the 250S manual ?
Cheers