TZ350 and 250 Discussion Forum  

Go Back   TZ350 and 250 Discussion Forum > Tales of the race !
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Won the club championship!

Default Who's going to the "Barry"

Bikes all ready, made a few mods to the brakes as rider thinks the the 4spot Brembos are too powerful and still having problems with warped rotors for the 08 Brembos, so have put the old 298mm single disc with a Lockheed caliper.
The gearbox issue I had with the good motor at the Island hopefully has been cured by undercutting the special 2nd gear, so that motor has gone back in.
Hopefully we'll have a trouble free weekend before it hibernates for the winter to re-emerge @ Lakeside (Qld) for the Aussie Titles in September.
Hinto
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:53 PM
World Champion !!!!

Lakeside in September...hmmm...no leave, but it's worth a thought!
Unread 03-18-2014, 06:36 AM
World Champion !!!!

My bikes are nearly ready. I'm taking 5 bikes this year.

My son Daniel has just turned 16 so is now allowed to road race in NSW. The BSFoS will be his second race meeting. He will ride his RS125 and my RD250LC.

Grant will ride my '93 TZ250 and Steve's TZ350.

I'll ride my '90 TZ250 if I can get rid of the f%$*ing middle throttle dead spot. The engine cuts in and out just when you want it to be smooth in the middle/exit of a corner. I've changed every part in the motor and tried every combination of jetting. The last attempt is to try standard reeds as I had to put Boyesens in mine as you can't buy standard reeds any more.

I'll also be riding my Bimota YB8 which has the FZR1000 exup motor in it.

Looking forward to a top weekend.
Unread 03-18-2014, 08:09 AM
Back in the field but going strong

I'm all se too, im riding my little p5 mt125r and ive been given a p6fzr1000 to ride cant wait for it. the tz350 is sorted for grant and my p6 rs125 is being ridden by Maria Costello so should be a top weekend and a bit busy cause my mechanic (dad) has buggered off on a cruise. Bring on a top weekend
Unread 03-18-2014, 10:34 AM
World Champion !!!!

Sounds like fun guys....!

Keep an eye on the Kiwi's. Few new and a few guys been before.

Bud, I'd think electrics......I wonder if the power jets are turning on or off at that point, or so other funny thing going on. Need some spare parts to swap out.

The Rev cylinder bikes as Trev Taylor reminded me on Sunday are very suseptible to old plug caps.

Al
Unread 03-18-2014, 12:38 PM
World Champion !!!!

It sounds like electrics Al, but I've changed everything and it still misfires. I've changed the CDI, stator and rotor (with a known working unit), plugs, caps, powervalve controller, added an engine earth lead, cleaned all the terminals, checked the polarity of the ignition coil, disconnected the kill switch, checked the powerjet solenoids.

I set the timing as per the manual. The burnback on the side electrode shows the timing is right.

It's got new cylinders, pistons, rings, reeds. I've checked the crank phasing. I've changed carbs, check the pipes and mufflers for internal damage. The powervalves work as they're supposed to.

Nothing has made the problem any better.

I'm sitting here scratching wondering what to do???????
Unread 03-18-2014, 12:42 PM
World Champion !!!!

Dusted off the old TZ350 with a fresh set of pistons and rings.

Rebulit the TZR250SP top end after a replate.

The Spondon, though assembled, is still short of its tank that is being repaired. New top end fitted and I've just assembled the swarbrick pipes to practice my welding skills.

still got the tatty fairing after some Goose knocked it off the stand at the Island Classic.........
Unread 03-18-2014, 02:05 PM
World Champion !!!!

I have found a problem, but whether it is THE problem, I'm not sure. One of the intake boots was split half way around.

Why didn't it seize then? Why was the problem a bit random?

Maybe the vacuum was holding it closed and it only moved under certain bumps???? Was the g-force from cornering pulling the carb down and then it would splutter mid corner?

It got worse when I changed the carbs at Eastern Creek last Friday. I could have made the split worse when I changed the carbs.

And thinking about it a bit more, it gave a cough at Barbagello in the flat out Turn 2 flip flop. I couldn't figure this out as you are on the main jet there and the plug chops looked fine. It could have been the g-force again pulling the manifold apart.
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:05 AM
World Champion !!!!

I had one split once. The EGT was telling me there was a problem on the front cylinder and I kept jetting up. (without removing the carb) each time I removed the plug as I jetted up I must have made the split slightly worse as it needed bigger and bigger mains.
Eventually I pulled the carb off - the intake was split on the inside for about 35% of its circumference !!!
Funny that it didn't display any other real clues
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:07 AM
World Champion !!!!

Lech are they similar to the T models ? Not sure but I'll have a look what I have in the drawer you might be lucky.