TZ350 and 250 Discussion Forum  

Go Back   TZ350 and 250 Discussion Forum > The bar
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Yammit

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeggy14 View Post

If I win the lottery in the meantime, yes.

Otherwise, no!
(It turned into a rich man's sport a number of years ago. )

Greg
Geez Greg I am not rich just fanatical about two strokes ,and
dont have a life outside race bikes LOL
Unread 04-10-2012, 08:48 AM
World Champion !!!!

Its like everything.....

once it becomes popular again the sharks move in

I don't believe we in NSW are helped by the shortage of tracks available. Its evident by the way the two remaining have ramped up their hire charges since the closure of Oran Park.

we desperately need more competition (no pun intended )

Potential New Tracks on the Horizon.......

Wagga wagga - new emerging possibility
Gosford area track by council - gone all quiet
Raymond Terrace area (ex MG club track) - not heard much for a few years
Muted replacement for Oran Park - ...........???

One of these would help
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Out on the track for first practice session

Default Track Shortage

I've been out of racing since the early 80's. I didn't realise that there are so few tracks. How come in the late70's we had (in Victoria) Hume Weir, Calder, Sandown and Winton, Phillip Island was no longer usable. We even raced at Laverton RAAF Base. A couple of years ago I enquired about practise at Calder, they weren't interested and told me that it would cost (I think) about $160 and that was for a couple of 20 minute windows. If you needed to work on the bike and couldn't make the window bad luck. I know it was in the good old days but in 1978 you could go to Calder on a Wed pay $20 and share the track with everyone else for the day.

I didn't realise that NSW has so few tracks as well. Is the insurance too expensive? Zoning restrictions? I haven't been to a race meeting for years but when I raced it was common to have 15 125's, 40 250's and 350's and the 500's and unlimited usually had at least another 40 or so entries. Big fields with multiple races for all. Does this still happen at normal race meetings? Are there enough racers to make a new track viable.

Just Curious

Steve Williams
Unread 05-19-2012, 11:48 AM
World Champion !!!!

Steve

we get quite a good turnout with the PCRA with Period 4, 5, 6 and Pre Moderns plus buckets.

Quite a few "modern class" promoters with potential obesity issues are starting to take us seriously to the point we need to be looking over our shoulder less they muscle their way in and totally shag the historics in an attempt to rape a few more shackles in.

On the circuit front their is great hope that the new development in Wagga will get the green light. Out of all the afforementiones possiblities this has the best chance to date.

As for reasons why circuits close or don't get off the planning stage they are numerous.
Ever expanding population, green belts, financing, to name a few.

The "not in my back yard" attitude is probably still a major factor in preventing planning approvals.

Friends in high places.................
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:51 PM

Default Tracks Again

Thanks Jools

As I stated I've been out of things for a while, I did have a TZ750 sidecar in the late 90's and ran it a few times at Broadford but a divorce put an end to that (and the house). I've got a TA125 I was thinking of running next year. I just have to learn where when and how etc. I've got an old road bike (GT380) that I'm waiting for the crank to come back from repairs. When that's together I'll start on the TA. I'd love another TZ but they are sooo expensive now. It's just sad that there aren't many tracks like Hume Weir and Calder etc. They were cheap and handy.

Steve
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:52 AM
World Champion !!!!

Steve

join up with the PCRA which will cater for your TA125 - probably Period 4.........?? someone will correct me

http://www.postclassicracing.com.au/

I recently (well last year) got my hands on a 1978 TZ750 that I race in selected events mainly due to cost of parts. Wouldn't even consider running it at Wakefield Park so that only really leaves Eastern Creek here in NSW.
I missed this years Barry Sheene Festival of Speed due to family bereavement but we are hosting the Australian Historic Road Race Championships there on November 16 thru 18 - be a good event to return on your TA ?
I remember watching the Sidecar GP's at Donnington in the 80,s - awesome. I take my hat off to the passengers especially, not sure you could convince me to get on there

Chivo still runs his TZ750 sidecar outfit and is very competitive on it in Period 5.
I remember when they couldn't give the TZ750's away..... wish I hadn't spent all my cash chasing skirt
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:01 AM

Default Tz750

The reason I had to sell the 750 sidecar (windle copy) wasn't the divorce settlement, it was like you said the running costs. I think just running at club level at Broadford was costing about $25 kilometre. It was either look after the kids or sell. I sold it to a bloke in Wagga who was just after the engine, I think I got $6k for it including stacks of spares. I'm slightly more prosperous nowdays not much but enough to run the TA. I'll check out the PCRA and try to get to a meeting early next year. A track at Wagga would be good, I'm 80km out of Albury on the Vic side. Thanks for your help.

Steve
Unread 05-20-2012, 01:32 PM
World Champion !!!!

A$25/km sounds about right. I reckon it cost me NZ$35 a lap at Pukekohe in Auckland (1.75miles) 10 years ago, so that would have been A$26/km at the time..
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Webmaster

A few shots (finally got around to taking/posting them.)

NOTE: There are now a handful of A5 sized copies available for sale once again. Email me at tzeggy14@yahoo.com.au Be quick!
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Webmaster

..... and a few more....

NOTE: There are now a handful of A5 sized copies available for sale once again. Email me at tzeggy14@yahoo.com.au Be quick!