TZ350 and 250 Discussion Forum  

Go Back   TZ350 and 250 Discussion Forum > Other brands of roadrace motorcycles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Warming up in pit lane

Default 1985 honda RS250

Hey Guys,
Thinking back to before the forum crashed, Their was a fellow on here restoring an old RS250, Does any one remember who he was. I would like to get in touch with him. As I am about to start reassembling an 85 engine. If anyone remembers the history of these bikes. I would be very keen to see your thoughts.
As far as we know, three bikes were raced in 85, Greg Scales, Geoff Mc Naughton and Donnie Osborne. If you guys know of the history it would be terrific help in tracking this machine past.

Ps. we saved it from becomming a supermono.
regards
Ken C
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Mid-pack and gaining

Hi Ken,

Martin Renfrey from Adelaide rode one as well. It was entered by Parafield Automatic Transmissions....Graham Castle, I think owned it.

Oh and Ricky the Racer.....from Albury......Richard Heffernan, that's his name had an '85 as well.

Trawling through the hard drive......clunk......there may have been one, maybe two more..........access denied

I had a MkII, '86.....not a bike that I look back on with the fondest of memories. Promised so much, disappointed even more.

If you didn't have the kit, or the kit dimensions for the pipes, you may as well have stayed at home. When I asked why my bike went like it was tied to a post, compared to Donnies', I had to tell what I was revving it to. 11,800 was my answer. "Well, Donnie has more than 2000RPM on you at the top end" was the reply.

I tried to rev it more and it just broke stuff.

If I wake up in the middle of the night with some more names, I will post it or them up.

Last edited by Peter Hinton : 04-06-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Warming up in pit lane

Thanks Peter,
This is the type of information we are looking for,
It seems the cranks in the Hondas were quite fragile, as everyone I have seen are broken.

Regards
Ken C
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Yammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc024 View Post
Thanks Peter,
This is the type of information we are looking for,
It seems the cranks in the Hondas were quite fragile, as everyone I have seen are broken.

Regards
Ken C
Craig morris had one , that held the lap record at Oran Park for
a while. derek Long had one and still has it as far as I know
we have Donnies 86 model and after a crank rebuild have
found it to be very reliable revved to 12,000 consistently
Craig Rall has one tucked away in his shed. there is an 86 in Lithgow or perhaps in Newcastle now that won the club
championship two years ago flogged all the TZ,s AND most of
the big four strokes and was very reliable ridden by Colin
pryor . so dont let anyone
tell you they are no good . cranks are hard to find also
genuine pistons are hard to come by but not impossible if
are prepared to put the effort into the bike it will reward
you . Trev 45 on here or rs stick. are good sources of
information . good luck with the restoration. I think I have
a copy of the owners manual and parts list if you get stuck
let me know .
cheers John.L. Andrew Johnston rode a 250 and a 500 I think in 84 ?? Marcus DeCaux definately had an 84 model these were before the beam frame so may not be much help to you .
the guy who rebuilt the 85 model calls himself freddybender on the north american two strokes forum he will give you any info you need also where to have a new crank built.

Last edited by Yammit : 04-08-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: remembered another couple of bikes .
Unread 11-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Watching from the grandstand

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc024 View Post
As far as we know, three bikes were raced in 85, Greg Scales, Geoff Mc Naughton and Donnie Osborne. If you guys know of the history it would be terrific help in tracking this machine past.
Hey Guys, I've just joined in here and have a little info on one of the 1985 RS250's that was in Australia.

The time line for Greg Scales 85 model RS250 >

Bought by Simon Turner in New Zealand in early 1986

Then back to Australia, bought by Malcolm Yeo 1988

Bought by Trevor Smith (me) 1989

I sold it in 1991 to a person unknown and unfortunately lost track of it's location from that point. I never saw it out racing again.

Distinctive components for an 1985 model RS250 were the WiWo ventilated front discs and calipers. Big brakes for a 250.
I fitted 1988 model RS250 wheels which afforded a better selection of the current tyres back in 89-90.
Also put on an 88 model seat.

(edit : added the below paragraph)
Nearly forgot a couple of standout items, the rear swingarm had some welding done to repair some damage done by one of the sprocket bolts coming undone and jamming into the swingarm. The engine cover outside of the primary drive gear off the crank had to be repaired after the crank had spread a touch to much and the primary drive gear fastening bold touched the casing and unwound putting a hole in the casing.

The original rear comstar wheel was within the spares and the old spare front was a 3 spoke campag, I think it was.

In 1985 during the Swann Series (Dec), Alan Carter came out to ride the 250-350cc series that was run along side the open class Swann Series. Alan Carter rode this RS250 although bought over with him some works carbies and exhausts to fit whilst here. I don't know how the ride came about but Greg Scales put the bike up for Alan Carter to ride.

This thread maybe a few years old but I would be interested to hear about the restoring work done on the 85 model that you have.
Perhaps by a small chance, actually maybe not that small given there was only about 5 or 6 85 models in Australia that I knew off (which have been pretty much covered in earlier posts).

Last edited by TrevS : 11-27-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Unread 11-25-2015, 11:16 PM
Watching from the grandstand

Alan Carter on Greg Scales RS250 bike during the 1985 Swann Series