TZ350 and 250 Discussion Forum  

Go Back   TZ350 and 250 Discussion Forum > Tales of the race !
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-02-2015, 06:14 AM
Unloading the TZ from the trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAN View Post
keep the story coming.....
Have been more involved in the "here and now"...

All too frequently, attempting to put down remembrances of events from 30+ years ago seems entirely much too self-absorbed and irrelevant. Those moments are far easier to discuss face-to-face with those who were there... and actively involved.

Like when I spent a rare afternoon with Gene Brown, a few weeks ago. Gene had told me that just before he crashed at Laguna, he had looked up at the tower that shows position, saw our numbers, and realized that we were almost to the podium. Me? I was focused on Brown's tail... plus... where and how I was going to get past him. Not an easy task, when Brown was as focused as he was that day...

Last thing I want to do is come across like Marc Marquez as an egotistical and delusional little twat who believes that divine messages can be discovered in the Rorschach images left on his Charmin Extra Soft after his morning dump. I never thought of myself as someone "special"; just another racer on the track, doing his best to NOT be humiliated by those who would prove how very special they were/are...
Unread 02-01-2016, 09:22 AM

Just got an Email from Jim Merz, who crewed for me at the AMA National at Laguna in 1982, where this story was slowly leading - after supplying some "background". We have not crossed paths in more than 30 years... strange to have him run across me on this forum... on the "far side of the world".

Hopefully, he will have some remembrances of that weekend and help "fill in the gaps"...

And one of these days... if there is still interest... I will finish the tale.
Unread 02-02-2016, 03:53 AM
World Champion !!!!

We're interested! I was just pulling the motor on my 350 to pieces yesterday when I wondered if there was an update...
Unread 02-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Working his way up through the field

Hello Thanatos

I have sent you 2 private messages via this Forum.

Neil
Unread 02-12-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 170plus View Post
We're interested! I was just pulling the motor on my 350 to pieces yesterday when I wondered if there was an update...
I was extremely pleased to connect with Jim Merz after all of these years... but disappointed to learn that he could not help with "the details" of that week in Monterrey... Since I was rather focused on my end of things, there was much that I missed... including wandering past Freddie Spenser's pit with the Honda Never Ready 500 4-stroke (oval pistoned V-4, 8 valves per cylinder). Jim tells me that my memory is better than his concerning that long ago time...

Will try to get back and write more as time allows...